01 March 2010

Ease on Down the Road

Yeah right.

I’m not that good at ‘easing’. When I have made up my mind to do something I want to do it. I don’t want to get dressed to get on a treadmill for 20 minutes. Oh no…that would be silly. If I am going to get dressed and go to the gym at 5am you can bet I will be on the treadmill for 3 miles.

Likewise, I don’t bike just 10 miles and I don’t swim just ¼ mile.

But I think it is a lesson I need to learn. Even if I am going to be on the treadmill 3 miles I need to learn to make part of it easy until I’m ready. I cannot have a PB every single time I jog/walk. Yes, I will have to push myself to get better but not at the expense of staying injury free or getting so sore I don’t even want to get out of bed for three days.

My inclination is to power through to the bitter end. But I don’t want the end to be bitter. It does feel good to push yourself and do more than before. But easing into running is the right way. It is the best way. It is the smart way.

When I’m going ‘slow’ this is how I feel:
Cause there may be times when you think you lost your mind
And the steps you're taking leave you three four steps behind
But the road you're walking might be long sometimes
You just keep on stepping and you'll be just fine.


But I’m going to ease. I am. Really.

No comments:

Post a Comment