23 June 2010

By the Numbers...NOT

I tend to be pretty analytical. In a big way.

When I started this journey toward my first tri I didn't really think about numbers so much. Well, that isn't exactly true. I thought I would lose a fairly significant amount of weight.

Of course, then I found the race results from 2009. I began to crunch numbers because I was determined to finish in the middle of my age group. I compared times for each discipline to what my capabilities were...and are.

Several people have told me to stop stop stop concerning myself with places and times and numbers on the scale.

Just finish they say. That's the goal. Enjoy the event...this is the fun part and what I have been working toward. Don't worry about the placing. Just run your race.

I am trying to not worry about numbers. It is both frustrating and easier since my hamstring/back thing that is going on. I really don't think I will be able to push myself on the run like I had hoped. I need to make sure I can do the next race. So, my goal times have had to change. While I am a good swimmer and can do the distance, Im just not fast. I have to reconcile that in my head...I want to be about two minutes faster and that just isnt happening by Saturday. The bike Im not worried about. Even if it is windy I will do alright. THe ride route is fun. I rode most of it and it will be a blast. And then I think about the transitions. Ive never done them before. It cant be that hard...but I still look at the numbers for that too. Or did. I'm trying not to.

Even though my quest was for health, fitness, and athleticism I had hoped the icing would be weight loss. I have lost a little and my clothes are definitely fitting differently. My fitness has improved immensely. Im stronger, faster. My endurance has increased. But the magical melting of pounds away just isnt happening.

Most of the time I dont worry about that number. But sometimes I can't help it. I'm not sure I will experience the melting of pounds but that's okay. I will be swimming faster, cycling farther, running faster and farther.

The only numbers I am going to be crunching now is how many weeks until the next event.

No comments:

Post a Comment