17 November 2009

Endurance - how long is that going to take?

I'm not the most patient girl in the world. If I go 2.5 miles on the treadmill a week ago, I don't think I should ever go less than that again - well, unless it is intentional. I don't want my time to ever be less than it was the last time.

Apparently that is unrealistic.

I got on the treadmill - and struggled. I was so frustrated. I forced myself to go a mile. My lower legs were not happy. So, I went to the bike. I sent a text to my guy and said, 'I just SUCKED on the treadmill'. He responded right away. Thankfully. He talked me through it: asking what sucked about it & told me I cannot go all out every day. Take it down a notch.

I tried to do just that. I got on the bike but my legs felt good spinning. SO spin I did. I was on a limited time so I kept my cadence up. I did notice my avg mph was a little higher yesterday than it had been. BUT I have to keep remembering that may not be the case tomorrow. A hard lesson for me to accept.

My guy kept in contact with me for a bit. That really helped. I know he cares. I asked him if it is hard to not go full-bore all the time. His reply was 'yes.it is hard to let yourself slow down.' But I have to remember I am very new to this. It's early in the process. He said to take it easy on pace. Build endurance now, speed later.

I'm inpatient. He must have sensed that and my frustration.

He sent me this: The exhiliration of true speed and effort is earned on the back of long, boring hour after hour of endurance.

Endurance apparently takes hour after hour after hour after hour after hour...

No comments:

Post a Comment