12 November 2009

Today is a Five-Minute Day

I've read about this 'rule'.

The rule is: if you don't feel like doing your workout just go for five minutes. Who can't go for five minutes? Chances are once I'm geared up and out doing something for five minutes - it will soon turn into 30 minutes.

There are times when it does not. But those times are not often. By the time I get going and get dressed. I'm in. I start thinking about my goals and what will happen if I don't go that day. I try and figure out when I would make it up. By the time I have that figured out...my workout is on. My head is back in the game. The idea is not rationalization. I can't go at the five thinking...oh I will just eat less today...I will work out twice tomorrow...I will take today off instead of Saturday. Nope. I can't do it that way.

But as my coach told me if it isn't fun - don't do it - not that activity, not that day. Okay so 'fun' may be a little over-stated. Maybe not. dictionary.com defines fun as: something that provides mirth or amusement

It could be argued that my running form is amusing or sweating like a really big football lineman is amusing or how my face gets as red as a beet is amusing.

Fun is also defined as: enjoyment.

I do have fun when I am training. I like it when the sweat is dripping in my eyes. I even like it when people look at me as if I am going to collapse. (my face gets really really red) It's okay. It's fun to persevere. It's fun to go 1 minute longer. It's fun to go a bit faster. Fortunately if one discipline doesn't seem fun that day...I have others to choose from!

Fun is amusing. Fun is enjoyment. Fun is good.

I think I've talked myself right out of this being a five-minute day. I'm going to have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment